Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Deductive Logic (first blog...YAY!)

We all use deductive reasoning on a daily basis, but we may not be aware that we are using it. The three main types of deductive logic are: syllogisms, modus ponens, and modus tollens. Personally, I find syllogisms to be the hardest to understand and test for validity and/or truth. Modus ponens and modus tollens are much easier for me to distinguish. Modus ponens state:
If p, then q
p
Therefore, q

Modus tollens, on the other hand, are the negative of modus ponens, so they state:
If p, then q
not q
Therefore, not p

Here is an example of how they differ:
Modus Ponen:
If Emily is a buttface, then I will stick my tongue out at her.
Emily is a buttface.
Therefore I will stick my tongue out at her.
VERSUS
Modus Tollen
If Emily is a buttface, then I will stick my tongue out at her.
I will not stick out my tongue at her
Therefore, she is not a buttface. 

In a modus ponen, the q term is being concluded, but in a modus tollen, the the p term is being concluded. While they both start with a statement including both the p and q terms, their deductive logic and hence their conclusions take different paths. 

1 comment:

  1. Good initial post and the one about Hilter contains the essential information. However, you need to post on all of the assignments. Also, I don't have any name information from your profile. E-mail me with your blog name and your name so I can give you credit. 8/12 Week 1.

    ReplyDelete